Social Icons

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Ballerina and the Fighter by Ursula Sinclair



This story, this story... I really got more than I expected with this one. I read this book on loan and really didn't know what to expect. Honestly, the idea of a ballerina and an MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter just didn't hit my "I gotta read this" button at all. And the cover honestly isn't the worse that I've seen (by far), but it wasn't doing it for me either. But once I started to read it, well, that's a whole 'nother thing.

The Story: This is the tale of a boy named Maze and a girl named Ivy. At the beginning of the story they are two teens on the cusp of adulthood and with big ambitions. They meet over the summer at a private resort, and thier attraction is instant and hot, but believable and in my opinion beautifully done. I'm not for going into details, but lets just say that their summer fling ends abruptly and not in a pleasant way. Fast-forward five years and both have reached the goals that they dreamed of that long past summer. Maze is a fighter and the best at what he does, and Ivy is a prima ballerina. The story tells what happens when these two reunite and when secrets and deadly promises threaten their love. 

The Characters:
Maze: I'll admit, I loved me some Maze. He was rough around the edges and cocky, but he was also incredibly sweet and loyal. He loved his Ivy and couldn't stay away if he tried. He's your good guy who's caught in a bad situation that isn't of his doing. He wants to do the right thing for the people that he loves; however, the right thing, at least in this case, isn't right at all.

Ivy: Ivy is a good girl who is drawn to Maze like a moth to a flame. He frightens her but excites her at the same time. There are times when Ivy should have run in the opposite direction from Maze or at least given him a hard time, but was too forgiving too easily. As a result, the character comes off a little weak for my tastes, but I'm thinking that will change as the story progresses in future books and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing her evolve.

My Conclusion
Read this book. It's worth the money that you'll pay for it, but it leaves you hanging in the end wanting more. That isn't a bad thing and was well done. I for one can't wait. Although I read this as a loan I'll be purchasing a copy for my personal ebook library as well as the next one in the series.
Book Length: 242 pages
Rating: 4 out 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment