Social Icons

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Denouement by M.O. Kenyan

It has taken me a little while to write this review because I wasn't certain what I really felt about it. Denouement is my first book

written by this author. The story starts in the present day and
caught my attention immediately. Without giving away spoilers, Marietta Parks and Tobias Harden are the main characters and in the present day they are married. An event happens right at the beginning of the book that threatens their relationship. Immediately the reader is flashed back in time to when the troubled loved birds first meet. Tobias is a playboy actor starring in a movie written by Marietta. We learn how they fall in love and I was left thinking that the story was going to be pretty standard romance stuff. The trouble would be resolved by some silly explanation and everything would be a-okay. Ummmm - no (at least most of it didn't go that way). There's more going on than readers think...

The Good: Ms. Kenyan does a great job of giving the reader the background of this couple and, as the story progresses, the history of our heroine. This chick has more issues than you realize and for the most part it kept my attention. This added an unexpected mystery to the story. While I wasn't the biggest fan of Tobias (see below), I liked that the author had him do what he did. He wasn't perfect by any means and to be honest he was such a player before they married that his slip-up felt realistic. 

The Not-So-Good: I wasn't buying the love story between these two. I needed some reason other than great sex and Tobias being the hottest man on the face of the planet as a reason why they actually fell in love. This guy was literally sexing up every female on the movie set before the characters come together. So much so that when he finally gets to her she feels like a conquest who he magically develops true feelings for because she held out the longest. Honestly I feared that she'd catch some STD from this guy he was such a man-whore. I also didn't really care for the reason behind his screw-up at the beginning. Felt like an excuse and not a good one at that.

My Final Thoughts: This was an okay read for me. Not perfect but not awful either. I would recommend it to anyone wants a light and relatively entertaining read with a bit of a mystery. While it was my first book by this author, it won't be my last. I give it three and a half stars, mainly for the twists in the story. 

*A review copy was given to me by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Ratings: 3-1/2 Stars
Published Date: July 9, 2013
Number of Pages: 151
Purchase:  Denouement at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment