Social Icons

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Rebel's Own by M.O. Kenyan

This review contains some minor spoilers under "What I Didn't Like."  Nothing major, but just thought I'd warn ya!

The premise of this book was a promising one. Awkward, unpopular
and troubled girl is approached by the most athletic, popular and handsome boy in high school. She's surprised that he's paying attention to her and agrees to go to the Prom with him. Problem is,she's his "Senior Sacrifice." This is a prank in which the popular jock finds the ugliest, strange or most unusual virginal girl on campus and has sex with her. They do the do and our "hero" moves on to his promising life as a football star. Poor Kennedy (the heroine) is left pregnant, heartbroken and embarrassed when she discovers the prank was on her. Fast forward to the future, Kennedy has a very sick boy on her hands and no insurance to speak of. Time to go to daddy who is rich and famous. It's here that my biggest problems arise with this story. 

What I Didn't Like: Kennedy makes a stupid decision - instead of just telling Ryan like it is and asking him to do the responsible thing, she decides on a course of action that was an idiotic gamble and that could have cost her child his life if it failed. I wish she had just told him like it was and made him do the right thing. But nooo... game playing ensues. But, I can even kinda forgive this and say Kennedy was just too traumatized about what happened to her (six years ago) to just ask for or demand his help. What I can't forgive is the completely uninspired way in which Ryan falls for Kennedy. It didn't make sense. He didn't recognize who she was, and it wasn't like he loved her or even sought her out after that fateful fu*k in the back seat of his car. But suddenly, after one flirty conversation he's thinking she might be good for him. After several fu*ks (sorry this wasn't lovemaking or anything of the sort, it was just fuc*k'n) and then discovering that she's the girl he hit and quit in high school, he's in love. Didn't buy it. Also, nothing seemed fully formed or quite finished for me. I expected more trouble from his ex-girlfriend. She was certainly leading up to it... but fizzle. The accident didn't further the story along for me or serve any real purpose. By that point everything had more or less resolved itself except for her mother's feelings about him. Speaking of...that was a fizzle too. 

What I Did Like: Yes I did like something in this book other than the initial promising story-line. Ryan caring for his sick son was touching to me. That did feel real and genuine. The little boy was cute and the sadness and fear from Kennedy was well done and touched my heart. 

The Bottom Line: I wanted to like this book. I really did and at the beginning I had such hope. Unfortunately it just fell flat. I really wish that more authors would take their time and write a longer and more fleshed out story-line. I'm giving this one two and a half stars. The sick child angle was touching and the elements of a good story were all in place - unfortunately it just didn't make it.

I received an advanced copy of The Rebel's Own from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. Rating: 2-1/2 Stars
Release Date: Dec. 9, 2013
Number of Pages: 114

No comments:

Post a Comment