Social Icons

Friday, September 16, 2016

Pussycat in Peril by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb

Kenyan/Arab W & Arab M
Pages 95
Published: May 2015
5 out of 5 stars

Roslyn Hardy Holcomb, you've done it. You have successfully pulled me out of my book funk with Pussycat in Peril. You did your thing, and I was both captivated and thrilled from page one. To say that I simply recommend this book is an understatement. I give it 5 stars!

What it's about
In Pussycat in Peril, we have Astaria, a member of the so-called Pussycat Death Squad who lives in America. She is married to a Marine named Kaeden, but only until she is able to successfully get her green card. Although they are attracted to one another, they have never acted on or spoken of these feelings. 

Astaria has returned to her homeland during a time of turmoil, hoping to bring her family home to the U.S. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done and she's been missing for two months. When her husband finds out that she's left and hasn't been heard from, he's determined to find his wife and bring her safely back home. No matter how dangerous that might be.

The Good
This isn't your typical IR romance. There isn't a billionaire in sight or an unplanned pregnancy to be had (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these elements on occasion, but seriously it is getting out of hand). Both the heroine and the hero are KICK ASS! That's right, they are both trained soldiers who know how to give as good as they get. Both characters are Arab and Muslim, which is something I have NEVER seen in a romance before. They aren't stereotypes or vilified in any way. Kaeden isn't a sheikh (ya'll know what romances I'm talking about), and she isn't a swooning, meek woman. In fact, Kaeden's character is Arab-American (his parents immigrated from Egypt), he was born in Tennessee and has a bit of a southern accent when stressed. 
Most of the story takes place in North Africa and feels like you're watching an action movie/political thriller. Although the story isn't completely non-stop action, it is never boring or without intrigue. There's so much that I liked about Pussycat in Peril, but I'll end it here to avoid entering spoiler territory.

The Bad
It was too short. In .epub format for my Nook, it is only 95 pages. Fortunately, the story made the most of each page! 

My Final Thoughts
This is a 5 star rated book that I fear won't get the attention or readership that it deserves. Unfortunately, rampant Islamaphobia prevents people from judging people on an individual basis. As a result, they won't be able to get past the cover or religion of the characters. This is a review site and not a political one, but I need to say that I'm glad this book exists. I'm glad that it portrays two people in love and fighting against evil. And I am proud of Roslyn Hardy Holcomb for not being afraid to write an amazing book featuring characters from a culture and religion that is under so much scrutiny. To those who avoid reading this book, too bad for you. You are missing out 'cause this is one amazing read!

No comments:

Post a Comment