Social Icons

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Holt (The Ruthless Tycoons Series) by Theodora Taylor

BW/WM
Contemporary
2.5 Stars


I hate to say it, but it's true... I didn't really care for this book.


This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but it's mine so I'm sticking with it. As a fan of this author, I really do look forward to reading her work. With that, I really do expect her work to continue to grow. This book doesn't reflect that in my opinion. The writing here wasn't terrible and as always Theodora Taylor can tell a story. Unfortunately, this seems like the same story that I've read on several occasions now. It came off like the love child of Owner of Her Heart and Her Russian Billionaire. I get that the formula works, but it was just a little too rinse and repeat for me.

To really get into a romance story, I need to understand why two people fall in love and it needs to be somewhere in the realm of believability. Even if I don't think the couple is a great match, I have to be able to at least admit that they are attracted to or love each other. I couldn't see it with these two characters. Colt is a drugged up alcoholic turned asshat of the year. His behavior to Sylvie only grows from bad to worse and many of his actions are beyond redeemable in my opinion. Unless you're a weak woman. And well, yes, Sylvie is just that kind of woman. She's a weak woman who occasionally has moments of pseudo-strength. She should have told Holt to kiss her a$$ after what he put her through (more than once), but unfortunately, she does not.
So my final word:  This book disappointed me. A rinse and repeat storyline, a hero that's truly unworthy, and a heroine that alternates between innocence and being too weak to do what's best for her life and everything in it. This is a 2.5 star read for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment