Social Icons

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Toxic, by Belinda McBride

Briony, a full-figured veterinarian, has a serious love for chocolate and the serious hots for sexy ranger Rico. Ranger Rico is wildly attracted to Briony who, to him, smells as good
as chocolate. The problem is Rico is a wolf shifter and
chocolate is toxic to canines. Chocolate toxicity becomes a
problem that brings our vet and shifter ranger together, but as a result it sets off a whole world of problems for the two of them as well.
I liked this book well enough. I thought it had an interesting story line that was a bit different. There were some very interesting characters of the human (Briony's mama!) and the shifter variety, and many of these characters had special abilities. There's also a shadowy organization in the background that's a threat to all an is an underlying problem in throughout the book. The problem that I had with this book is there was too many stories going on in the space of a relatively short story. This left a lot of loose ends flapping around and it was a bit confusing to me as a reader. Basically it went in too many directions. If the author continues this series (The "Truckee Wolves" in the title implies that there might be a series) I imagine she'll tie all of it up. As is, it's just too much.
The bottom line - it was okay. I enjoyed it well enough and thought it had potential, but I wasn't in love with it either. I want to give the author kudos for Briony's mother though. One tough cookie and a character that you just don't see in many books. I'm giving this a 2.5 to a shaky 3 star rating.

Published: April 22, 2013
Pages: 141
Available at: Amazon


*I received a review copy of Toxic from Netgalley and received no compensation for this review*

No comments:

Post a Comment