Social Icons

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Seduced by Mr. Right by Pamela Yaye

There is something that is a bit off about the cover of Seduced by Mr. Right. The way the couple looks on this bike? Not sexy or attractive to me. This supposedly wealthy man looks like he's pulled his clothing from the bargain bin and the model himself just doesn't look quite right to me. Definitely not what I imagined the "Mr. Right" that is the character Emilio to look like.

So why am I picking on this cover you might ask? The answer is simple and sums up my feelings about the story in general. An image of a man and a woman straddled on a motorcycle should be freakin' hot! But this is not, and neither is the story. Like the cover, the idea for this book was a good one. Unfortunately, the execution just got in the way. I didn't care for this book at all and frankly, I'm not going to spend a great deal of time hashing over the good, the bad, and the ugly of it. Basically, Emilio Morretti is a race car driver who is depressed and locked away in his mansion because of a tragedy several years earlier. There are problems in his world and his best friend/manager hires a life coach to get him back on track - literally. The life coach is Sharleen Nichols a woman who has had her share of
tragedy in life and someone who the best friend/manager has been in lust/love with for years. Sounds interesting, huh? Nope. Emilio goes from rude and dismissive to can't get Sharleen out of his mind to he wants her as a permanent fixture in his life in no time flat. Sharleen slips into an instant inner monologue the moment that she meets our sexy Italian-accented hero and and again each and every time she meets or thinks about him after. Really, her inner musings did nothing for the story except ruin the flow for me and make her sound like a crushing 16 year old. If this wasn't bad enough, the story was incredibly disjointed with actions and ideas just dropped and left unexplained. For example, our hero's best friend/manager says some pretty nasty lies about Sharleen to Emilio, yet they are never mentioned again, and he is never confronted about what he says. I was left wondering what was the point. Seemingly at the end, he suddenly has a change of heart about the two being together and behaves in a completely different manner. Example number 2 - Sharleen's co-worker is a demon of a man who does some pretty horrendous things to several women in the story. Again this was a useless addition to the plot as nothing substantial really came of it. The excuse for his behavior was weak and no woman alive would be content with it as an explanation. The conflict that one of his actions causes is so minor, although it was meant to be a major issue. It only made the hero look weak in his easy belief of a pretty thin accusation. Even then, his response is so mild and short lived it didn't have much of an impact and didn't make me really care.

Basically, the whole story felt a little too silly for me. I don't know really how or why these two would have fell in love as quickly and completely as they did. As much as I would have loved to say that I liked this story I didn't. The book, like its cover, was an enormous let-down. This is the first time that I've given a Kimani Romance a 1.5 star review, but honestly I could find very little that I liked about this one.

*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review*

No comments:

Post a Comment