Social Icons

Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Boy Who Came Back a Wolf (Space Wolf Chronicles 1) by Kara Lockharte

Published: Oct. 2015
Pages: 49
Diversity: bw/wm
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
* I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review*

As a person who loves sci-fi and has a healthy appreciation of paranormal romance, I wish that I could say that I got more enjoyment from reading The Boy Who Came Back a Wolf. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. For me it was a case of lost potential. I'm just going to jump right in and share my thoughts with you.


What I Liked
I want to give the author credit for the things that I found promising and what initially had me excited to get reading.
-The world building featured in the book was impressive and made me curious to explore more.
-The main characters background information was well done and did a good job of establishing who Lauryn is. With this information readers are given access to her motivations for living the life that she has, and idea of how she's conducted her business over the years. We also get to see how she feels about her actions and the kind of person that both her life and those actions have made her become. Good stuff, and I was excited to read more.
-And because I'm just a bit of a cover snob, I have to say I liked this cover. Loved that it actually showed a full-figured woman that was actually full-figured!

What I Didn't Like So Much
The problem for me is this - The Boy Who Came Back a Wolf could have told a great story with characters reuniting and discovering the changes caused by time, circumstances, and their own personal choice. Unfortunately, it was too short and what could have been an interesting read deviated into a whole lot of sex that I couldn't get into. I don't have a problem with hot sex in a book, but it needs to be believable and it has to be supported by a storyline that captivates me. The path that this book took just didn't do it for me and I lost interest. I will say, however, that my interest picked up again at the end of the book. But, when it seemed like it would get out of the bedroom and back to the promising story that I was looking forward to, it came to an end. To be continued. A stay tuned sort of thing. Very disappointing.
- I also wanted a little more about Xander. This would have taken a longer book, but this guy has an amazing story that deserves time and detail.

My Final Thoughts
The next book in what seems to be a series sounds interesting, but I'm not holding out much hope that it won't have the same problems that this book suffers from. Will I read it? Likely, but it isn't high on my list even though it will probably be another quick read. As for The Boy Who Came Back a Wolf, I'm giving it 2 out of 5 stars. This isn't a terrible book by far, but it has all the makings to be so much better. I would love to read an extended, fuller version.

No comments:

Post a Comment