Social Icons

Sunday, March 20, 2016

A Thin Line by D.L. White



Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Character composition: AA couple
Published: January 30, 2016
Purchase: @Amazon

A Thin Line tells the story of a man and woman in their 30s who live to argue, mock, irritate, and general hate on one another. They've known each other from childhood and share the same circle of friends. When their two best friends get engaged, they ask the quarrelsome duo to put aside their differences and plan their wedding - together. The book is a journey to discover if former friends and lovers turned enemies can resolve their issues after 18 years.

What I Liked
Preston- Preston loves Angie. It's apparent from the start of the book. While I don't think she was deserving of it (see below), I liked the range and the nuances of his character. How he interacts with Angie's dad is just great! It tells so much about who he is and what is in his heart.

Troy - Troy is Preston's brother. I thought his character was interesting and would like to read more about him outside of the scope of this book.

The friends - Particularly Nate and Morgan (the engaged couple). While we don't get a lot of Nate, we get enough time with Morgan to figure her character out. These two want Preston and Angie together again and for her part, Morgan will lay on the guilt if need be. They have what everyone sees as the fairy tale relationship,. I like how we get the inside scoop on the perfect couple.

Their careers - Preston and Angie are both attorneys, but at rival firms. This is somewhat of a backstory, but interesting.

What I Didn't Like
Angie. Angie disliked this man for 18 years because she was hurt by something that he did when they were in high school (Sorry, can't say without spoiling). Now some things are worthy of 18 years of anger and dislike. This was not. Honestly, the reason and the resulting length of time were so disproportionate that it actually made me dislike Angie. It was that petty. Yes, as a kid she should have been hurt, but if she loved him as much as she said she did she'd have gotten over it. If you ask me, poor Preston should have gotten over her a long time ago and moved on with his life. This woman can hold a grudge like no other!

The lawsuit - As I mentioned, Angie and Preston are attorneys at rival firms. There is a case that finds them at odds. I was really looking forward to this, but since it ended up in this section you can imagine it fizzled for me. Disappointing.

What I Hope to See
I'm curious about Jade. She comes across as a gold digger, but there are enough indications that she might not be. I would love to see a book about her because I feel there has to be a whole 'nother story going on there.

My Final Thoughts
I was all over the place on this book. I liked the author's writing style and the theme of the book was a good one. That combined with good secondary characters and a gorgeous hero should have made this an excellent read. Unfortunately, Angie was a huge turn off for me, just too petty in my opinion. The reason for her hatred of Preston was just too minor. That combined with the missed opportunity in court decreases my rating somewhat.



I rate A Thin Line 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment