Social Icons

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Eagle's Heart by Alyssa Cole

Eagle's Heart is a romantic suspense featuring an African-American heroine and an Albanian hero. This book didn't spare a moment before thrusting me into the thick of things so
I'm going to say up front that I really enjoyed it and was quite impressed. Eagle's Heart was so much more than I expected with a storyline that is unique for the genre. So what's it about? We start with Salomeh Jones. She's a teacher who's just been informed that a student's mother has made claims that she's molesting her daughter. To Salomeh's horror not only is the mother making these claims but the student is agreeing that it happened. Salomeh is devastated. Not only is her career, good name, and life falling apart around her, but the student is someone that she's tried to help and cares a great deal for. Even worse, the news and tabloids are painting her as a pedophile and people on the street are harassing her. Of course Salomeh is innocent and she's intentionally being ruined by the Albanian mob boss named Bardhyn who employs the abusive boyfriend of the students mother. Julian Tamali is a special agent who shares a history of violence and death with the mob boss. He's trying to bring him down and get vengeance for past wrong-doings. When the agent and the disgraced teacher meet it is combustable. Not only are these two attracted to one another, but they're also both marked by  the mob boss.

The Good: This book was filled with suspense, suspense, suspense!! Salomeh's situation is ugly and I can't even imagine being accused of something so vile. I can honestly say that I've never read of a heroine who's been accused of molesting her female students. The real beauty of this book is Julian. Alyssa Cole did her research on Albania and the problems that have plagued the people there. His history is gritty and real, and you get a very vivid sense of where he's been and how he got to where he is now. The relationship between him and Bardhyn is a complex one that's fraught with betrayal and hurt feelings turned deadly. There was a lot of action, which was good because I never wanted to put the book down. Fights, car chase, explosions, gun fights and vows of revenge, I could easily see this as a movie that I would go watch. I also give it kudos for not making a big deal on the difference in skin color between the hero and the heroine. It wasn't even mentioned. This is just pure romantic action-suspense.

The Bad: My complaints all have one thing in common - Salomeh. Okay, she wasn't the worse heroine that I've ever read and there were things about her that I did like, but girl did some of the stupidest things! There's really just two times that Salomeh takes a journey down TSTL lane, but they are significant. The only other thing that bugged me enough to mention is the speed in which Salomeh and Julian fall into each other's arms (and bed). I'm thinking she would have been more leery of people than that.

The Bottom Line: Eagle's Heart was an invigorating thrill ride that grabs the reader from the very first page. It can be pretty hard hitting in some parts as human trafficking and sexual slavery also play a part in the story. Overall I really liked Eagle's Heart and I think that Alyssa Cole is a strong new voice in the genre. I highly recommend this romantic action-suspense book and believe most readers won't be disappointed. I give it a 4 out of 5 rating.

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Rating: 4 out of 5
Pages 222
Published: January 20, 2014
Publisher: Loose-Id
Get your copy at: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment