Social Icons

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sweeter Than This by Samara King

In Sweeter Than This by Samara King, we meet Elle Taylor. Elle is a police officer who had an affair with Durant Kane, the right hand man to an organized crime boss. She's
disappointed and angry with herself for succumbing to her attraction to him in the past, and when she runs into him again she discovers that those feelings are stronger than ever. Even worse, Durant isn't backing off, which is a conflict considering their professions. As if that isn't enough for Elle, Durant's boss has been murdered, organized crime in the city is in turmoil, and her mother's being threatened by a huge secret that she's kept hidden from her daughter. A secret that changes Elle's life forever.

Sweeter Than This was an interesting romantic suspense/mystery that kept me thoroughly engaged from start to finish. It's filled with secrets, mysteries, lies, betrayal, and at the center you have two people from seemingly different worlds who are inexplicably drawn to one another and falling in love. I liked both Elle and Durant. They were in my opinion two strong and capable characters. Elle went through a lot in discovering nothing and no one was who they seemed in her life. I felt for what she was going through and I was relieved that I never felt like she was turning into a weak or needy woman.  I also liked the fact that both Elle and Durant had relationships in the past and personal anguish that they were trying to overcome. Their history gave them more life and I appreciated the effort by the author which made them more than one dimensional characters on the page. I'm also glad that the author didn't get caught up in the "I love him, but I shouldn't" aspect of the story. Elle made a decision to trust Durant and the times that she didn't you it was understandable. I did feel that some of the "bad guys" were a bit too much or their motivations didn't make sense to me, but overall it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story.

All in all, Sweeter Than This is a romantic suspense that engages the reader and doesn't let go until the story is over. The characters are likable and the mystery is enough to keep you wondering for a good portion of the book. For me it was a great way to escape within the (virtual) pages of a book for a few hours. This is a book that I definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys romantic suspense.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Publisher: Loose ID
Pages: 119
Published: January 28, 2014

* I received a copy of Sweeter Than This courtesy of the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review*

No comments:

Post a Comment