Social Icons

Monday, June 20, 2022

Fake It Till You Bake It - REVIEW

 

Cover: Fake It Till You Bake It 




 4 Stars, AA Romance

This is a new-to-me author so I was interested in checking out her writing style and excited to see if the story matched the cover. After reading it, I can easily sum this book up in one simple word. Cute. From the cover to the title to the story. It's just a cute. I can honestly say that I enjoyed this tale about football player/baker Donovan Dell and rich girl without a plan Jada Townsend-Matthews.

The Good
-The snark between the two. Not over-the-top, but enough to see it's just covering stubbornness and mutual attraction.
-Donovan. I was liking me some uptight Donovan. He wasn't over-the-top masculine or anything. He was just a believably real man and came off as someone that I'd be attracted to.
-Nicholas and August. Ummm, yes please give me more.
-Surprisingly, Jada. I wasn't sure I was gonna like Jada but her character had layers and she grew on me. Likable but flawed.
-No silly misunderstandings. This couple actually talked!
-Men baking!!!

The Bad
-This is just me, but I can't stand sports romance most of the time. Particularly when the male protagonist is black. It always feels like a lazy stereotype. As if the only successful black men are the ones who play football or basketball. In this case, it is only a mild strike since Donovan is a baker too! Like I said, my personal dislike.
-Jada isn't likable in the beginning. This isn't necessarily a bad point, since she grows and you fully get to know what her issues are. Just don't stop reading when you first meet her!
-The story drags in certain areas.

While cute isn't usually my go-to in romance, it is something that I enjoy when it's well written. Fake It Till You Bake It, while not the most exciting, is lighthearted and easy to read. Perfect for a lazy, hot day. When this book releases, get yourself a cool drink, a sweet treat (preferably a cupcake!) and settle in front of the AC for a relaxing couple of hours. Overall it was pretty good and it looks like it will be a series so I'll be keeping a look out. 4 stars.

I received this ARC courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments: